Carlsbad, Calif. (September 7, 2020) - TaylorMade's Dustin Johnson seals the FedExCup with a win at the TOUR Championship in Atlanta using a TP5X ball, SIM driver and Spider putter.
This is his 23rd win as a professional and it comes along with a $15 million payday and the coveted title of FedExCup Champion. DJ has now won more FedExCup playoff events than anyone else with six.
Ahead of today's final round, DJ had this to say:
To be the FedExCup champion is something that I want to do. It’s something that I want on my resume when I quit playing golf. It means a lot to me. Obviously, I had a chance to win it a few years ago. I control my destiny. I need to go out and just play like I did today. Obviously, I’m swinging good. I’ve got a lot of confidence in the game. So, I’m looking forward to tomorrow.
DJ carried the same equipment throughout the Playoffs, including a SIM Max 7-wood with 21° of loft to complement his SIM Max 3-wood (15°). He will alternate between the 7-wood, a SIM Max 5-wood (18°) and his SIM Max 3 Rescue (18°) depending on the course. Staples in his bag include a SIM driver (10.5°), P•730 irons (3-PW), Milled Grind Wedges and TP5X golf ball.
Armed with his trusty Spider Tour IB Limited, DJ’s putting was remarkably consistent during the FedEx Cup run. In fact, he only missed one putt inside 5 feet at The Northern Trust and BMW combined (104/105).
With world-class driving and ball striking, DJ is tough to beat when he putts well. He relied on the same formula during the TOUR Championship, pushing his lead to 5 strokes as he entered the final round (67-70-64). Continuing his strong play during the Monday finish, he was relatively unchallenged down the stretch opening the day with three birdies in his first six holes. He posted a final-round score of 68 to win by three strokes at 21 under.
This was his 23rd career victory, the 3rd of the 2020 season, the 12th with his Spider Tour putter and his first FedExCup Title.
NEED TO KNOW
- 1st FedEx Cup victory
- 23rd career victory; 3rd victory of 2020 (Travelers, Northern Trust and TOUR Championship)
- 6th FedExCup event win (most all-time)
- This is the 12th straight TOUR Championship that DJ has competed in
- This is the fifth week in a row that the SIM driver has won on the PGA TOUR (PGA Championship, Wyndham, Northern Trust, BMW and TOUR Championship)
- SIM drivers have now won eight times on the PGA TOUR since the season re-start mid June, that's 57% of the events
- TaylorMade golf balls have won 50% of the PGA TOUR events since the season re-started mid June
DUSTIN JOHNSON WITB
- SIM 10.5° driver
- SIM Max 15.0° fairway
- SIM Max 21.0 fairway
- P730 3-PW irons
- MG 52° and 60° wedges
- Spider Tour IB Limited
- TP5X ball #1