Basingstoke, Hants (Jan. 30, 2023) – Rory McIlroy powered past a crowded leaderboard to win his third Dubai Desert Classic and cement his status as World #1 with rounds of 66-70-65-68. Rory has been playing some of the best golf of his career with this victory being his third win in just his last seven starts, while he has not finished lower than T4 in his other four tournaments.
Rory birdied the 72nd hole to secure a one-stroke victory, which is not only his first Rolex Series win but also the first time he’s won his maiden tournament of the year. Rory was gaming TaylorMade’s newest Stealth 2 Plus fairway, which features a heavy 50g sliding weight on the sole.
This weight allows for three main settings, each with its own performance characteristics – creating three different fairway woods in one. Rory has his 3-wood sat in the middle setting which is the most versatile for optimal playability off the deck or off the tee. Shifting it to the front reduces spin and creates a piercing trajectory for added distance off the tee. Positioning the weight all the way back is the most forgiving setting. It adds spin and increases MOI for enhanced performance on off-centre strikes.
Rory McIlroy WITB
- Stealth Plus 9.0° driver
- Stealth 2 Plus 15.0° 3-Wood
- Stealth Plus 19.0° 5-Wood
- Rors Proto Irons 3-PW
- Spider X Hydro Blast
Rory McIlroy Need to Know
- His third Dubai Desert Classic Title
- His first Rolex Series Title
- Win marks his 15th career victory on the DP World Tour
- Rory has won three times in his last seven starts and has not finished lower than T4 in his other four starts
- This is the first time he has won his maiden tournament of the year
- Rory cements his place at the top of Official World Golf Rankings