Basingstoke, Hants. (Nov. 20, 2022) – Rory McIlroy finished fourth at the season-ending DP World Tour Championship to become European Number One claiming the Harry Vardon Trophy for the fourth time in his career.
With all four rounds under par at Jumeirah Golf Estates, a final round 68 was good enough to earn him a solo fourth finish on the leaderboard and claim the deserved year-long Race to Dubai title. Rory, who has had TaylorMade’s Stealth Plus Carbonwood driver in the bag all year, featuring its 60X Carbon Twist Face, was on fire all week around the tricky Earth Course. This week Rory led the field in both strokes gained off the tee (+1.53) and driving distance (329 yards) which is a staggering +29.30 versus the field average.
Rory McIlroy played 40 rounds on the DP World Tour in 2022 with a stroke average of 68.75, the best since records began. On the PGA TOUR in 2022, Rory had a stroke average of 68.67 , the best on tour since Tiger Woods in 2009. Rory has now become European Number One, World Number One, and FedExCup Champion at the same point for the first time in his career.
It means a lot. It’s been seven years since I’ve last done it. I’ve won three FedEx Cups since I last won… I've been able to win this tour’s rankings and finish the year as world No. 1, but to do it in America as well, yeah, it's very cool. I keep saying that I've been a pro now for over 15 years, and to still try to figure out ways to try to accomplish new things, that's what keeps me coming back.
Rory McIlroy Need to Know
- This is the fourth time Rory has won the Harry Vardon Trophy, following his titles in 2012, 2014, and 2015
- Rory becomes just the second player ever to win both the FedEx Cup and Race to Dubai titles in the same season
- Rory has now become European Number One, World Number One, and FedExCup Champion at the same point for the first time in his career
- He is guaranteed to finish 2022 as World #1
- This week Rory led the field in both strokes gained off the tee (+1.53) and driving distance (329 yards) which was +29.30 versus the field average
- Rory’s stroke average on the DP World Tour season is 68.75, the best since records began
- Last seven worldwide starts: 2 wins, 5 top-8 finishes, 67.89 scoring average, 100-under-par
Rory McIlroy WITB
- Stealth Plus 9.0 driver
- SIM2 15.0 3-wood
- Stealth Plus 19.0 5-wood
- Rors Proto 3-9 irons
- MG3 46 SB, 54 HB, 58 SB
- Spider X Hydro Blast
- TP5x golf ball